Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Respectable Sins

Those of you who read my blog might remember that I set out to read 6, that's right, a whopping 6 books this year.  :)  I just finished #4.  (I  do really want to get all 6 in and realize time is running low but I hope I can still pull it off).  Anyway, back to book #4.  Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges.  It is awesome.  Not awesome in a nail biting, can't put it down kind of way.  Rather, awesome in a heart examining, dead on, life changing kind of way.

This book takes our daily, more acceptable, subtle sins that we experience and puts them under the microscope.  It is in no way condemning or harsh.  It is merely written to help expose these in our own lives and make us think about how we accept them, justify them, or overlook them.  

I have always hated the saying "Do as I say, not as I do."  It completely turns me off and immediately I think hypocrite.  I think as Christians, we can tend to do that without realizing it.  We are fervently opposed to such things as abortion, murder, stealing, adultery, etc., but when it comes to our own hearts we are filthy and don't think twice about it.  I think that really taints our witnessing opportunities.  Because what is so different about us, besides the fact that we go to church on sundays and maybe a small group or bible study during the week, when the rest of the time, we look the same as everyone else.  We watch the same shows, we spend our money the same way, on and on.

So I love this book because it breaks down the more common acceptable/respectable sins we commit.  Things like impatience, irritability, anger and weeds of anger, anxiety, worldliness, judgmentalism, envy and jealousy (he even differentiates between the 2), and sins of the tongue among others.  

I certainly don't love the fact that I find my heart and attitude in many of these categories of sin, but I do love that God has pierced my little bubble and allowed me to recognize the depth to which I live out some of these, how truly accepted and common they have been in my life.  I'm thankful to have read this book. It has made me more aware of my sin, and allowed me to see myself more accurately, according to God's standard, not this world.  I am even MORE thankful that God gives his Holy Spirit, His word, and the power of Christ to transform us!  So thankful that we don't have to remain in sin, but that we can overcome it.  That is freedom in Christ.  He gives grace to recognize, repent, and live as a new creations.

Obviously, I am no book critic but I do get excited about great books like this one and can't help but share.  So...because I love it so much I would love to get a copy in your hands!  Consider this my first ever blog giveaway!!  You'll just need to leave a comment to this post and a scripture that God is currently teaching you about/using in your life.  I'll pick a winner by Saturday (Oct. 23rd).

5 comments:

diana said...

One of my all-time favorite scriptures is Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.

It's a constant reminder to me that no matter what trials I may have to face, with a little faith I can always witness miracles. And I've been blessed to witness a few in my life (specifically with my Dad's health recently). Even simple trials (like trying to be a good mother every day!) seem easier when I remember that scripture. It's a simple but powerful promise.

crystal said...

In the day of prosperity be happy, but in the day of adversity consider: God has made one as well as the other. Ecc 7:14
As you know I have had a rough week with the car accident. God protected my family greatly by not having my kids in the car. Such a rare thing for me to be in a car by myself. I am in some serious pain and having some scary weakness on my right side. I just think over and over, THANK YOU God for protecting my kids from this!! BUT, had he allowed my kids to be in the car with me, He is still the ALMIGHTY, it doesn't change His love for me. He is great no matter whether something is good in my life or something is bad. How incredible is that? I think it will take me a lifetime to grasp this concept. But the good news is when I get to heaven and can understand, I will have eternity to celebrate the Almighty. Now that is something to be joyful about;-)

Janelle said...

Lately my scripture would be "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said "Here am I. Send me." Isaiah 6:8
I need to be more bold and walk in faith. My job is to just TELL not to get results. That is the Lord's job. Paulina, my friend read a similar book and thought the bit on anger was really good. I'll have to tell you about it. Also, might I suggest the book Deadly Emotions by Don Colbert. Very good!

Paulina said...

Well apparently no one wants to read about sin! :)

i think it will work out for my 3 ladies here to read this book, you're all winners!

erin said...

Oh no - I'm too late! That book sounds great. So, I am going to play anyway....Lately its been Matthew: 6 25 - 27
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life.
Love it. Sorry I'm too late - that was a fast contest!