Friday, September 3, 2010

Body & Food

I can't exactly pin point when it happened, but somewhere in these last few years my body has decided to strike against the food freedoms I so once loved.  You know, a cookie every day, a donut, a latte, chocolate, cheesecake, you name it I ate it - without shame or feeling like it was going to settle anywhere. 
Well, those days have bid me farewell.  Maybe it had something to do with having kids.  I just realized that for the past 4 years since November of 2006 I have either been pregnant or nursing every fall.  Anyway, somewhere between 2 pregnancies, lots of indulging and feasting on any food at any time, 2 c-sections and 1 year later - things just aren't the same!  I actually have to watch what I eat.  I have to practice self-control.    I exercise more regularly now than before but I still have a flabby belly, and I'm NOT pregnant.  I  weigh the same as I used to, but things just did not settle where they should have.  Really they shouldn't have settled at all!  And I so crave dessert.  I love sweet things.  I hate sweet things for the same reason.  I love to bake, but I hate that whatever dessert I bake tempts me like satan to eat it.  Just a bite, just another little bite, and by the time dinner rolls around it's half gone and I was the only one who ate it!   
Of course there is a balance, I want to be healthy but I also want to enjoy the flavors of this life.  I just need to halt and control how much enjoying I do.  One piece is probably ok, half a cake is probably not.  And I am completely jealous of those beautiful ladies that bounce back from having babies in like 2 months and look like nothing ever happened to their bodies.  Grrr.
And not only I am concerned about how MUCH I am eating, but also what I am eating and feeding my family.  It is so scary to think how manipulative and political our food has become.  Well probably not the food itself, but the industry behind it.  All of the GMO's, bad industry practices, pesticides, etc.,  We are definitely trying to use wisdom here with how much to pay attention to all of that and how much to oversee.  But in all this...I cling to:
"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."  Matthew 15:11
I should definitely be spending more of my time contemplating that and applying it in my life and heart. 

1 comment:

diana said...

I am glad I am not the only one!!!

It's a deadly combination: getting older, having children and enjoying delicious treats.

You look great!