Monday, December 7, 2009

What Have I Done???

The other day I was doing my very routine grocery shopping at the local Kroger (that I already don't like for many reasons...) and stumbled upon the large banner hanging outside of the front of the store. It read: "Holiday Evergreens." I looked below the sign and noticed Christmas trees. Then I got ticked. Holiday evergreens? Really? They are CHRISTMAS TREES!!! Surely, if you are buying a tree then it must be for Christmas, not Thanksgiving, New Years, or any other "holiday." Grrr.

So I came home and wrote a lovely note to Kroger saying that I am officially resigning my grocery shopping at all Kroger stores until they do something about this sign. I even gave them my Kroger Customer # and told them they can consider it inactive. BOLD, I know. This means I can't show my face at Kroger, any Kroger, even the nice Kroger stores until they give Christmas the credit it is due.

I realize that I have completely inconvenienced myself (hence the title "What Have I Done?") and now may have to resort to shopping at Walmart since it is second closest, or driving far to Meijer or Whole Foods, but I think it is for a good purpose. I am sick of retailers taking Christmas out of Christmas! This is a purposeful time of year celebrating the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Enough is enough. And though I realize that there are MANY more retailers out there doing the same thing, and that I may not tackle all of them, I thought one was a start...especially a grocery store that gets a lot of our business. So there. :)

I will let the blogger world know if I hear back from Kroger. I hope I do.

In the meantime, enjoy some pics of this Christmas season at our house.



5 comments:

diana said...

Amen! And good for you. Way to stand up.

Rachael Neal said...

i completely agree with your stance! way to go.

as a side note, my parents just recently opened a cell phone store. its a family business and we all enjoy working there. we love the Lord and took a stance to keep our store closed on Sunday, to observe the Lord's day. but corporate informed us that in order to keep the store, we had to open on sunday. this has opened my eyes to the behind the scene things that go on in business. i realize kroger probably has more control over what they choose to do...we're just the little guys. but, your local kroger might not have a say in what their corporate bosses dictate and what signage they have to display. just a sidenote though. :)

Paulina said...

Thanks Rachel. I know that other Kroger stores have the same sign so I am not necessarily complaining about my specific Kroger, but in general about their sign.

Ashley said...

I know the wonderful kroger you are talking about. I was getting so irritated the other day there b/c of their lack of customer service. I hate when I have to greet the cashier. Good for you taking a stand. It will be interesting to see how they reply.

Sally said...

The Hebron Kroger had the same sign...but I couldn't bring myself to stop shopping there! You go, girl!