Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Big Dipper

First, can I just say that I like titling blogs and making them a little extra cheesy? It's the little things in life.

Anyway, the big dipper in this story is not the striking arrangement of stars in the heavens, but it is in fact our daughter. She is totally into dipping. Give her a sauce and she will dip just about anything in it. If it weren't for dips (particularly ketchup) she would eat incredibly less which means she would eat practically nothing. Here are a couple of interesting items that have been dipped in ketchup:

1. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which she ate willingly with the ketchup on it.
2. A kernel of corn. The best part is, though, that at first she dipped the kernel of corn, licked off the ketchup, and used the single kernel of corn to be dipped again.

All I have to say is: thank you Heinz.

Other dips she enjoys but is not limited are: ranch dressing, caesar dressing, maple syrup, jam, salsa, bbq sauce, etc.

Now you may be thinking that she is a festive little eater, but do not be fooled, she does mostly dipping and licking and forgoes the food with substance! How do I get this child to eat??? As much fun as dipping is, it would be nice if she actually ate. Help. She has become so picky, but hopefully this is just a phase....?

5 comments:

diana said...

That's so funny that you would post this tonight. Marley just discovered dipping. I was eating chips and salsa (like 10 minutes ago) and I gave her a chip which she brought back to dip in the salsa, then kept coming back for more!

But for the most part, I am with you. My child lives off formula.

Paulina said...

So maybe it's not a phase?? It seems to have been going on a for a while and shows no signs of ending :(

Lee and Candace said...

Isabel loves dipping too, although I don't think our combinations have gotten as wild as Sophie, but hey, whatever works:) I find she ends up just dipping her fingers and licking whatever the dip is.

Regarding eating phases, I've given up on trying to figure out Isabel. Somedays she eats great, others she won't eat a thing. I've discovered I can't worry about it. She'll eat when she is hungry. I keep trying things over and over again, even if she won't eat them. Example? She has never liked pancakes or french toast, but I tried and last night she ate some. This doesn't mean I just don't care if she doesn't eat. I still try to get her to eat something at every meal. I'm just not consumed by it anymore. Hopefully eventually she'll see how yummy food is and enjoy it:)

krissy said...

My best route with Dora has been to let her eat what she wants off her plate and thats all. I tried for a while to discipline her for not finishing everything but it put a very ugly ending to almost every day. Now she just goes hungery sometimes and I'm good with that! But like Candance said just keep trying. Dora shocks me often and she's waaay better than she was at Sopies age so there is hope.
Also, she dipped her nectarine in ketchup last night. and ate it. gross. I had to draw the line there. No fruit in ketchup!

Paulina said...

Thanks ladies! That is kind of what I am doing too...though I know what type of crankiness being hungry can bring and I would just like to avoid it :) Maybe in a perfect world that would happen....

Krissy, how do I get hooked up to read your blog?